Presidential advisor: there are no indications that the resignation of the head of VSAT was caused by political persecution

Presidential advisor: there are no indications that the resignation of the head of VSAT was caused by political persecution

„We saw no indications that there was any preconceived bias specifically against an individual,“ M. Česnulevičius told Žinių radijas on Tuesday.

Read more Scientists have found out: one food product can help fight fatty liver disease

According to the advisor, R. Liubajevas, who decided to leave the post of VSAT head, made a decision that, in his opinion, would be best for the service.

„A person must assess and take responsibility, and in this case, the respected Liubajevas made a decision which, in his own assessment, is best for the service,“ he said.

As BNS wrote, R. Liubajevas decided to resign amid a law enforcement investigation into an incident at the border and an internal VSAT leadership review regarding the reporting of this event.

He informed the Minister of the Interior, Martynas Katelynas, about his resignation on Monday.

„Actually, when the incident itself occurred, which is the subject of procedural actions and investigation, why it happened, why the algorithms did not work, whether they were planned in that case or not, the ongoing investigation will answer that,“ M. Česnulevičius said.

„(…) when talking about an incident of this nature, where there can really be victims on both sides, (…) I think the issue is really very serious. The appeal to the General Prosecutor’s Office, the attempt to very thoroughly and clearly find out what happened and what should be done to prevent it from happening again, to truly preserve the health and life of all persons possibly involved in such incidents, I think this is not an excessive step. Regarding some kind of retaliation, well, that is completely new to me, we really saw no indications that anything like that was being done,“ the advisor explained.

According to him, G. Nausėda sees the resigned R. Liubajevas as an officer under whose leadership the migrant crisis was managed and actions were taken to strengthen the state border.

Read more Family drama: long-time «Lakers» owners prepare for legal battle

However, as M. Česnulevičius noted, the VSAT leadership could have informed better about the incident in the Lazdijai district.

„At this point, a certain information vacuum, a lack of precise information was felt. So at this point, if the discussion between the service head and the Minister of the Interior had dragged on, if there had been no decision, then perhaps the respected president would have invited to talk, maybe even both individuals, but this was resolved at the Ministry of the Interior level,“ the advisor said.

The media reported that in the territory of the Kapčiamiestis border post, after a tunnel being dug under the state border was detected, four border guards set up an ambush.

The border guards detained several migrants and handcuffed them, but during the detention about 20 foreigners attacked the officers.

The officers had to flee, while the illegal migrants, including those handcuffed, escaped to Belarus. VSAT announced the discovery of the tunnel and the escaped migrants but remained silent about the attack on the officers.

The incident was reported by the portal „Delfi“ based on sources, and last week the portal „Lrytas“ published that one officer was injured.

Read more Colombian Housing Minister Faces Criticism: Took Vacation During Earthquake

Translated from

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *